Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Afghan Women

            Ever since I first visited the Middle East in 2002, I have been so intrigued by Afghanistan and their culture. When I first visited Amman, Jordan, just after the 9/11 attacks on American soil, I had so little understanding for the trials and conflicts between the U.S. and the Middle East, and for the problems in within the area itself. I distinctly remember seeing a woman walking down the street, completely covered from head to toe and asking my Grandpa why they made their ladies dress like that. He tried to explain, but I didn't understand. What sparked my interest again a few years later was the story of the Afghan Girl. If you haven't seen this video, it is well worth the four and a half minutes. (click here for the video). This video gives you a small glimpse into the life of an afghan woman.
     
             Since then, I have been so interested in the issues going on in the Middle East, especially Afghanistan. There is so much social unrest due to the seizing of Afghanistan by the Taliban. In 1996, the Taliban and Islamic extremists. These extremists persecuted Afghanistan until the U.S. took over in 2001. While the Taliban had control, they wanted to create a totally perfect Muslim society. Not only were drastic social measures taken, but also minor issues such as dress and appearance. Women were required to wear burkas that covered themselves from head to toe, and men were required to have their beards be a certain length. The Taliban had an "anti-women" agenda that caused the most social unrest. Like I said before, women were required to cover themselves completely. In addition to that, they were not allowed work outside the home, and could not leave the house without a male guardian. Women were also not allowed to get an education and did not have access to health care. Although these actions towards women caused much distress worldwide, the Taliban stated that they only took these measures to protect the women. The only occasions where women were allowed outside the home is to collect food, like the women in this photograph.

http://www.internationalist.org/afghanwomen1001.html

            In this photograph, there are two women completely covered from head to toe, with their children under their burkas. They are waiting at a food distribution center in Kabul run by a French humanitarian organization called Action contra la Faim (Action Against Hunger). This picture strikes a chord in me as a woman because one of the blessings I try not to take for granted is my freedom as a woman. I am allowed to leave my home, wear practically whatever I want, choose a career, vote, and have a say in society. Whenever I see pictures of women in burkas, it is a small reminder to me to never take for granted the simple blessings I enjoy everyday in America. Some women wear this burka in religious observance and to show a sense of sacredness towards their faith. I think all women in Afghanistan should have the choice. They should have the freedom to choose what to do, just like all of us have the ability to make personal decision on a day to day basis.



Salgado, Sebastiao. Photograph. "Migrations: Humanity in Transition." Aperture. New York, 2000. 170.

Bajoria, Jayshree. "The Taliban in Afghanistan." Council on Foreign Relations. N.p., 06 Oct 2011. Web. 20 Sep 2012. <http://www.cfr.org/afghanistan/taliban-afghanistan/p10551>.

Ebere, Charles. "Taliban." Encyclopedia.com. Encyclopedia, 2012. Web. 20 Sep 2012. <http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Taliban.asp&xgt>.

. "About Action Against Hunger." Action Against Hunger:ACF International. N.p., 2012. Web. 20 Sep 2012. <http://www.actionagainsthunger.org/about>.


No comments:

Post a Comment